A little while back I made a mask for a friend for Halloween. Ian wanted something along these lines.
He gave me a hessian sack and a very large and heavy zip, and off I went to be creative!
I’ve got some ‘step-by-step’ photos, which are more for comedy value than to be of any use…
Firstly, I needed to work out where the eyes and mouth needed to go. As I was home alone, I decided that the only way to do this was to use my own head. So on the sack went.
It was only at this point that I realised photographing myself with a sack on my head was a slightly silly idea, but I kept going anyway and after about 10 tries I managed to get me in the frame AND in focus!
The next step was to pin on the zip in the right place for a mouth. Trickier than I had anticipated (wait till it gets to the eyeballs…).
Finally, I needed to mark where to cut the eye holes. No easy task when I couldn’t really see anything from where I was sitting. Putting one finger where my eye was, I gingerly moved in with a pin in the other hand to mark the location.
Photographing this proved even more problematic, so I randonly aimed the camera at my general face area, and eventually caught a rare sighting of a pin in this shot (you can just see the tip on the right-hand side).
With everything now marked, I took the mask off and set about sewing. I cut a slit for the zip and used my machine to attach that from the inside (only broke one needle, bonus). I then cut the eye holes and sewed round them with black embroidery thread.
Here is the finished mask.